Welcome!

Welcome to my A Level Media Blog. My name is Joshua Brooks [0110] and for this project I am working in Group 5 with Vivian Oparah [0621], Sebastian Hodge [0330] and Louis Caldwell [0131]. Under the heading 'Labels' of the left hand side of the page, you are able to filter post from the project's various stages of production. At the bottom of the page is a link to older posts also. Click the link listed below for Group 5's Facebook page, which contains evidence of production work from throughout the project. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoy the rest of my blog!

NTLS Final Music Video


NTLS Final Music Video

NTLS Final Digipak

NTLS Final Digipak
NTLS Final Digipak [Right click to open larger image in new window]

NTLS Final Website

NTLS Final Website
NTLS Final Website [Right click on the image to open the website in a new window]

Twitter

View our Group Twitter page here:

https://twitter.com/NTLSmusic

Facebook

View our Group Facebook group, which we used to administrate the project, here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1538872199681204/?fref=ts

11 Jun 2014

[2] What have you learnt from participating in each of the prelim tasks?

[1] Learning And Practising The Performance
In theory and at the time of filming the auditions independently, this task seemed really easy and straight forward. It took a while to get over the awkwardness of performing into a camera and to learn the lyrics of the song but apart from those minor issues it was a relatively straight forward task. After we were given some criticism about our performances however, I found that it was a lot more complicated than I had anticipated. Lip syncing was the hardest task for me, as although I knew the words to the song, I 'did not articulate on camera enough', meaning it was hard to see what I was saying on camera. Luckily I was castinto a role without lip syncing, although I wouldn't mind giving it another go at a later date or with the next project.


The audition video for the parts included in the music video 'Girls' by The 1975

[2] Help To Plan And Organise Your Costume
When organising the costumes, a lot of communication was involved. All the cast and crew worked really hard to make sure that everyone had what they needed by the required time and that the costumes were as close to the ones in the video as possible. It think that it helped a lot that we were all constantly talking to each other and it made the process a lot easier. I can imagine that I could have been much worse, as items of clothing could have been misplaced, forgotten about or poorly kept but fortunately this did not happen. Ultimately it comes down to communication, which is key in any of the tasks that we completed whilst taking part in the project.

A sample of how the  costumes and characters were broken down in the booklet
[3] The Shoot
The shoot was unsurprisingly the task I most enjoyed out of the four that we completed. It taught me how a professional set functioned and how even simple tasks were sometimes the most important to get correct. I talked to Jack, the camera op, and also Dom, the director, about what sets they had worked on, what problems they most regularly came across and also discussed techniques on how to make the most out of the camera we were using (The Canon 5D mark II). As I had already been taught how to use the sound and lighting box, I didn't spend much time up there, but I did see that lighting a studio for a shoot was a much more relaxed process that doing a live performance, as the were not as many cues to follow, but the lighting process was a lot more precise and arduous.

The set for 'Girls' by The 1975
[4] The Edit
This task was by far the longest to finish for the team I worked in. Even though we managed our time well, we still fell a little behind schedule. On future edits, I believe that completing a rough edit to plan out where the shots go before being picky and precise with the details would be a more sensible and efficient way to edit, as most of my time editing for me was spent being a perfectionist and spending too much time trying to sync up shots exactly. I did learn how different from editing a narrative was however, and also it was my first time editing footage to pre-recorded audio, which was interesting and a fun experience.

A screenshot of the workstation in Adobe Premiere

No comments:

Post a Comment